- May 8, 2017
- Posted by: Planet Goa Team
- Category: Art, Culture & Art
Top 5 things to do when in Goa:
1) Take a dip...in one of Goa’s many natural springs. Ask a local guide to direct you to the closest one or check your guide book. The spring at Rivona located in South Goa is once such local secret. The little spring gurgles with life after the monsoons have replenished its waters. The narrow steps leading down are hidden from the main road, but easy to find nonetheless. Dip your feet into the fresh cold water and enjoy the cool ambience.
2) Village Encounters: Goa’s many picturesque villages often escape the usual tourism routes. Rent a bike and ride along the narrow winding roads that connect one little hamlet to another. And it’s particularly beautiful at this time of the year with nature in full bloom. In the South, the village of Rachol offers a lot to the curious visitor.
The 400 year-old Rachol Seminary that used to be a Muslim fort is a worthy mention. Visit the jetty and enjoy the beautiful vista of Goa’s backwaters.
3) Go karting: Steer away from the beaches and heritage spots and get yourself a go-kart at one of Goa’s fun tracks. The one at Nuvem in the South is open during the season and you can find locals and tourists alike taking their karts for a spin.
4) Temple visit: Apart from the well-known temples of Mangueshi and Tambdi Surla, Goa is dotted with many intriguing smaller places of worship. The small Om Shri Shakti Vinayak Saunsthan at Divar island is one such place. Take in the beautiful environs as you drive through lush green fields on either side and take the narrow road leading to the hill. Once you reach the top, look for the temple on the hill slope beyond the Church yard as it is quite shielded from direct view.
5) Beach: Ride up North to the white sandy shores of Morjim beach. Dip into the welcoming waters to soothe the senses or relax on the soft sands. You can even take a walk around the village for a glimpse of local life. The beach is also home to the Oliver Ridley turtles who use it during the nesting season. Enjoy the various cuisines available at the many beach shacks or stay at the coco hut tree houses.