- September 29, 2021
- Posted by: Planet Goa Team
- Category: Best Places to Stay in Goa, Home Stays, Unique Goan Stays
Arco Iris (meaning “rainbow,” in Portuguese and Spanish), is a 200+ year old Colonial Portuguese manor. It is situated on a sprawling 2-acre property that’s peppered with fruit trees, flowering bushes, lush lawns and overlooks a seasonal lake.
Arco Iris is located in the picturesque heritage village of Curtorim. Photographing tropical birds, going on lively nature rambles, splashing about in the serene Maitollem lake nearby, visiting exquisite churches with historical significance, lots of fishing and sampling delicious home-cooked food are some of the many leisure activities you can indulge in during your stay.
Blend these with your hosts Beni, Gani, and their charming daughters Trusha and Trikaya to get a perfect Goan holiday.
The House and The Gardens
The house itself is a restored Portuguese style manor, with a high plinth, imposing columns and high ceilings which have retained its original structure to a large extent without compromising modern-day requirements of luxury and comfort. It offers excellent year-round natural ventilation and a chance to experience the seasons at close quarters.
With a built-up area of around 8000 sq feet, Arco Iris envelopes a traditional entrada [foyer], a spacious formal drawing room and a high ceilinged dining room dominated by a hardwood dining table that can comfortably seat 8 and an outdoor patio along with five bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, a well-equipped kitchen, a utility area and private servant’s quarters. Three of the five spacious bedrooms open out into private balconies that either overlook the azure lake or blossoming expanses of flora. Arco Iris also houses a Balcao [balcony] where you can catch up with neighbours, read the local newspaper or just laze around.
Guests are provided with boarding and complementary breakfast. Additionally, lunch and dinner can be arranged with prior notice. We are always accessible to offer assistance, be it for transport arrangements, sightseeing options or just about anything else that will make your Goan holiday a memorable one.
In keeping with its name, the award-winning Arco Iris has five spacious rooms in the different colours of the rainbow. You can choose between the Indigo, Orange, Violet, Blue and Yellow rooms.
The entire property is Wi-Fi enabled. All rooms have ensuite bathrooms, with hot and cold running water supply. The Indigo, Orange, Violet and Blue rooms are air-conditioned while the Yellow is air-cooled.
The Indigo Room the only one on the first floor, is the perfect place to hear the rain pattering on the tiled roof or spot a variety of Goa’s rich birdlife through its Dormer window. The antique four-poster bed and the wooden floors add to its charm. This 300 sq ft room has a separate dressing area, a large ensuite bathroom and a private balcony. This room is air-conditioned.
The Orange Room is a large, bright and vibrant room with a king-sized bed and tasteful antique furniture. The ensuite bathroom is extremely large with a high ceiling as well as an open shower area. This room is air-conditioned and opens into the rear courtyard.
The Violet Room with its own private balcony is the best place to start your morning as it is surrounded by trees that are home to numerous birds. It is 300 sq ft and has an ensuite bathroom. The four-poster bed and the old Goan rocking chairs take you back to a bygone time. The room opens out into the cosy rear courtyard as well as the side garden, giving it its own separate entry and exit. This room is air-conditioned.
The Blue Room opens out into the formal dining area. It is a lovely double room with its own ensuite bathroom. The room has an extremely high ceiling and a part of the walls has been exposed to reveal the beautiful laterite stone below. This room is air-conditioned.
The Yellow Room overlooks Arco Iris’ lush, manicured gardens as well as the seasonal Corjim Lake. The huge bed is made of laterite stone dotted with beautiful handmade tiles and will guarantee you a good night’s rest. The bathroom is as large as a bedroom and is the perfect place to have a leisurely shower. This room is air-cooled.
After having spent the better part of their lives inhaling the dust and fumes of Indian urbania, Bennita (Beni) and Ganesh (Gani), both decided that there was no place like Goa. Since their kids were only too happy to second their opinion, their shift to the beach state was considered, contemplated and then executed in double-quick time.
After having experienced the serenity of life in Arco for the first couple of years, they thought it would be a shame if the pleasures of living in a quaint village in Goa weren’t shared with others yearning for an interlude in their hectic lives and hence the decision to open our doors to guests.
Arco Iris is a pet-friendly homestay. They absolutely adore animals and have three dogs of their own – Feni the Labrador and manages to convert even the few people who are scared of dogs into ardent dog lovers and Ciska and Japang- their rescued Indies.
– Spacious AC bedrooms
– Ensuite bathrooms with hot and cold running water
– Complimentary continental breakfast
– Homemade lunch and/or dinner (at an additional cost)
– Complimentary daily newspaper
– Common TV
– Access to our well-stocked library
– Wifi connectivity
– Laundry service
– Luggage holding facility
– Doctor on call
– Car & Bike rental
– Airport transfers
– Board Games
– At Arco Iris there are many activities to do nearby. Even specialised tours can be arranged. Here are some of them:
– Walk up to and explore St Alex, one of Goa’s oldest churches (built in 1597)
– Sight dolphins and porpoises dipping in and out of one of Goa’s numerous seas
– Take a heritage walk in the village of Chandor
– Cycle to the four-hundred-year-old Rachol seminary, Asia’s oldest
– Check out the Braganza Mansion & Fernandes House, both heritage homes in the neighbouring village of Chandor
– Indulge in a river cruise
– Treat yourself to one of our personalized tours or traveller packages
– Take a pleasant jaunt along the glittering Zuari River
– Spend an evening on a rejuvenating boat ride on the Zuari river with a local fisherman
– Drop-in for a visit to the Big Foot museum
– Cycle to the picturesque districts of Raia, Loutolim, Chandor and Margao
– Unwind at the Benaulim beach
– Try your hand at water sports at the Colva beach
– Visit some of the splendid temples and churches Goa is home to
– Picnic at a spice plantation
– Birdwatch in and around the property or in the protected areas of Cotigao, Mahavir, Bondla or Mhadei
– Try out adventure sports
– Discover the photographer in you
Address: “Arco Iris” 1384, Sinai Bagh, Near Carmel Chapel and High School, Curtorim, Goa, 403 709
Contact Number: +919604964482, +919689995688
Google Maps: https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=Arco+Iris+Boutique+Homestay,+Curtorim,+Goa&hl=en&ll=15.295776,74.038925&spn=0.223533,0.41851&sll=15.28466,73.971312&sspn=0.055886,0.104628&oq=arco+iris+&hq=Arco+Iris+Boutique+Homestay,&hnear=Curtorim,+South+Goa,+Goa&t=m&z=12
Covid 19 safety precautions
We are taking all precautions and following all SOP’s prescribed by WHO and the Government of India and the State of Goa with respect to Covid 19.